Monday, February 22, 2010

takes me back...

...procrastinating has become so much more efficient with the advent of the internet. i now have the ability to procrastinate for a family of four all on my own!

ran across this vid while i was stalling and avoiding writing.
this takes me back--i lived my teenage years in da ATL and so REM was ubiquitous. and i've always loved them.

seeing this vid of 'drive' from 'automatic for the people' reminded me of when i got to see them play live at some smaller joint in downtown atlanta...maybe 84? 85? and although this song didn't come out till way later, the grimness, the sense of doom and darkness about it--especially with stipe playing the stoic statue in this concert footage--reminded me of that 'life's rich pageant' show.

the girl i was dating at the time, who was older than me and braver than me and supercrazy hot, and got me in to the show somehow--was also a coke dealer. and she wound up dead a few weeks later. just sorta faded off the map there, aside from an obit in the paper.

weird.

her name was jackie.

i also always think about the velvet underground when i think of that time: 'jackie is just speeding away/thought she was james dean for a day...'
anyway. enjoy the grimness.

No comments: