Friday, October 12, 2007

true west journal

here is the true journal of the making of 'true west,' a play i was in last summer. it's a sam shepard play, and if you're unfamiliar with his work, he writes stories of decidedly dysfunctional families, powder-kegs waiting to explode. i played a writer--big stretch--whose brother was a dirtbag, no-good, low-down con man, visiting town and staying with me at my mother's house while she was out of town. my character was trying to write a screenplay, but my brother (played by my good friend tim a.) harassed and harangued me the entire time, and finally managed to wrangle his way into a deal with the producer with whom i have been meeting, essentially stealing my movie deal.

this makes me angry.

during the course of the play i have to write on a typewriter which features centrally in the plot, here's a few of the pages i saved after the show closed, most of which came from rehearsals, as the ones we used in the show ended up splattered with fake beer and all sorts of other substances during the big climactic fight scene.

the medication is working out nicely, thank you.

--kjb

(click on pages to magnify. if they're TOO big when you do that, right-click and adjust zoom)


No comments: